From: Crístian Viana
  To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
  Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:32 PM
  Subject: [gentoo-user] synchronize portage files in a LAN

  hi,

  I have 7 computers in local network and I want them to have always the same
portage files (the ones synchronized with rsync). of course I can use crontab
to make them sync at a specific time but I'm wondering if there's a better
alternative. I saw a wiki page which says to create one local rsync server and
have the other 6 computers synchronize with it (by pointing the SYNC variable
to the local rsync server). but I also thought NFS could be nice: I just have
to sync one machine and everyone will always be "synchronized".

  what's the best approach for this case?

  thanks!

  --
  Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]

  The options you mentioned is the best...Just settup the rsync server on the
machine you want it on and then setup a cront job to update it daily. Set your
6 hosts to use your local rsync server machine and create cron jobs for the 6
machines. Just make sure that their cron jobs are 5-10 minutes ahead of when
the local rsync server updates it's files.