Crístian Viana wrote:
hi,

I have 7 computers in local network and I want them to have always the same portage files (the ones synchronized with rsync). of course I can use crontab to make them sync at a specific time but I'm wondering if there's a better alternative. I saw a wiki page which says to create one local rsync server and have the other 6 computers synchronize with it (by pointing the SYNC variable to the local rsync server). but I also thought NFS could be nice: I just have to sync one machine and everyone will always be "synchronized".

what's the best approach for this case?

thanks!

--
Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]

I think either way would work. The bad thing about a NFS is that you have to run emerge --metadata to update the files in /var. I think this is still correct. I always synced to my main machine. It is easier in my opinion. I seem to recall having to uncomment one line in the config file and start rsyncd. It worked.

My thoughts at least.

Dale

:-) :-)