you guys are killing me -- the problem goes away when the ac cord is
plugged in. I open files watch videos surf the web and so on -- no
problems. I'm no expert, but that would seem to suggest that the fs is
OK, no? I set this forth above. Did your eyes glaze over at that
point?

Roy Marples, who is a(the?) openrc developer, roped me into using git
to do whatever git is supposed to do and now it's much worse.
/dev/sd1 and 2 fail to mount as before PLUS many init services fail to
start PLUS it no longer matters if the battery is being used or the ac
cord: Chaos ensues, castles crumble, empires totter ...