On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:54:45 -0700, Maxim Wexler wrote:

> you guys are killing me -- the problem goes away when the ac cord is
> plugged in. I open files watch videos surf the web and so on -- no
> problems. I'm no expert, but that would seem to suggest that the fs is
> OK, no?

No! You're missing the point. You are telling us that the system works
fine if you fsck the root partition before trying to mount it rw, but
fails to mount if it is not fscked. That means there is something wrong.

Hint: I am typing this on an Asus Eee PC that was just booted up on
battery power.

--
Neil Bothwick

EASY TO INSTALL = Difficult to install, but instruction manual has
pictures.