Holger Hoffstaette schrieb:

>> I read something of setting stripe-width=128 to fit the erase block size
>> of 512 kB ... dunno if that makes sense.
>
> Is this for a RAID? I'll gladly admit to complete lack of practical
> experience wrt. stripe sizes and such. :)

I simply read stuff like

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

and especially

http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/20/aligning-filesystems-to-an-ssds-erase-block-size/

It's a moving target here, sure ...

As I know myself I will simply fiddle around with the settings and
re-copy my root-fs several times before deciding for one particular setup.

I will do some dualboot-scenario, my current hdd-raid1-based root on one
hand and the new ssd-based root on the other, both included in my
regular backups, sure.

> All I know is that two days ago I flashed my 160GB G2 with the
> finally-no-longer-bricking-Windows and TRIM-enabling firmware, and that it
> "just works".

Fine. Does ext4 send TRIM already? AFAI understand the needed changes in
libata are up to come with 2.6.33, correct?

> You could also try btrfs with 2.6.32, if you're adventurous enough :)
> (works fine here too)

Hmm, dunno. That's quite bleeding-edge and beta ... this machine is my
main workhorse that helps me to earn money so I don't want to risk too
much there. Maybe on a third copy of root-fs ;-)

Stefan