On Monday 07 December 2009 20:10:31 Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
> I update my server quite frequently without any problem, but
> today after running "emerge -uDN world" I got these messages:
>
> -----
>
> !!! existing preserved libs:
>  >>> package: sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.9
>
>   *  - /lib64/libuuid.so
>   *      used by /bin/mount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
>   *      used by /bin/umount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
>   *      used by /sbin/blkid (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
>   *      used by 16 other files
>   *  - /lib64/libblkid.so
>   *      used by /bin/mount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
>   *      used by /bin/umount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
>   *      used by /sbin/blkid (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
>   *      used by 8 other files
> Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries
> -----
>
> So I did run "emerge @preserved-rebuild", but at the end
> of it I got the very same messages. How can I solve this?

An old version of e2fsprogs-libs provided some libs that the programs in util-
linux linked to. Portage realised after updating e2fsprogs-libs that these
libs are still in use so have not deleted them until everything using them no
longer does. Sometimes it gets itself confused. Others report that running
emerge @preserved-rebuild multiple times fixes it, but I'm not so sure. It
think it's more a case of the various ld* utils don't do the right thing at
the right time - just yesterday I had b0rked @preserved-rebuild output fix
itself after a reboot with no extra emerging done.

Try this:

Run ldd on a few of the listed binaries using old libs, eyeball the output and
apply brainpower, followed by:

emerge -av1 util-linux
emerge -avC e2fsprogs-libs ; emerge -av1 e2fsprogs-libs

revdep-rebuild won't help you here, as the binaries are not broken. It will
only confirm internal consistency once preserved-rebuild appears to have
sorted itself out.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com