On 12/18/2009 4:32 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:45:31 -0500, Marcus Wanner wrote:

For the same reason that support for punched card readers is disabled
by default.

But they're so useful...and the computer we got a year ago had one. Do
things really go obsolete like that after decades of prevalence?
Yes, thankfully. Floppy disks have no real place nowadays, they are
bulky, unreliable and store very little. If you want support for legacy
hardware, it is there at the flick of a (config) switch but enabling by
default makes no sense, especially on Gentoo where default tends to mean
"starting point" more that "standard configuration".
Ok, I guess I'm just a bit behind the times/did not go through my make menuconfig thoroughly enough...

Marcus