On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:53:16 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Your post makes sense until you realise that the use of XML in a
> configuration designed to be changed by the user renders the package
> virtually unusable. Given a choice between me as a developer struggling
> with a config parser versus vast swathes of users dumping the package
> because of the same parser, I'd say it's me that has to work harder,
> not my users.

If we are truly trying to make Linux more accessible, with things like
the plug and play hal offers, should we even be contemplating editing
config files?

XML is a machine-readable file format that just happens to use ASCII
characters, it is not meant to be modified by a text editor, so if your
program uses XML configuration files, it should include a means of
editing those files that does not include the use of vim.

--
Neil Bothwick

A great many people mistake opinions for thoughts. -- Herbert V. Prochnow