On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 23:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Monday 18 January 2010 22:47:05 Dale wrote:
> > In that case, ctrl alt F1 does nothing.  You also need to understand
> > that most people don't even know how to use SysRq keys.  I didn't and
> > had to do a hard shutdown.  I had to actually pull the plug to do any
> > good.  Luckily I knew how to get it to boot into single user mode so I
> > could disable hal otherwise I would be right back on the same screen
> > again with no mouse or keyboard.  It would be really bad if even that
> > didn't work with devicekit.  I'm not sure how it couldn't but we never
> > know do we?
>
> Dale's experiences highlight a very important and very fundamental rule of
> desktop system design:
>
> As a developer you must completely and totally guarantee to the full limit of
> what is feasible, that the user will always have a usable keyboard, mouse and
> display after the desktop has launched. You can fallback to VGA resolution
> and
> the most basic keyboard layout possible if you need to, but you must give the
> user something and never leave them stranded. Anything else is just an epic
> fail.

My 2c worth is this:  In any other distribution, the xorg/hal update
would have been configured so that Dale's (sorry to keep using you as an
example :) keyboard / mouse was working.  But this is Gentoo.  You ARE
the distributor AND the end user.  Conflicts in libraries / packages are
up to you to resolve.

About 3-4 people use Gentoo at work, and at least 2 were hit by the
keyboard/mouse not working bug in xorg when it moved to HAL.  With a bit
of fuddling, remerging, and so on, we got it working in both cases.

So yes, the developer must give a fallback method of using the
keyboard / mouse, but not against the incorrectly packaged / configured
system.  In Gentoo you often end up with an incorrect system, hence
revdep-rebuild and so on.

  It's more than magnificent-it's mediocre. -Samuel Goldwyn