On 9 Feb 2010, at 00:05, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
- probably about the worst value it could be.

Hm.... what about those first 62 sectors?

If I'm understanding correctly, then the drive will *always* have to start at the 63rd sector, then swing back round and start reading a 1st sector, for every read larger than 1 byte.

This will result in a minimum of one extra rotation of the disk's platter for every read, and instead of reading larger data contiguously the effect will be like a *completely*, least-optimally fragmented filesystem.

I may be mistaken on this - if that's the case I would love to be corrected.

The results shown by Valmor & Mark are *two orders of magnitude faster* when the partitions are correctly aligned.

Stroller.