Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> so how do you propose that a network connection manager tells a broweser or
> mail app that they are offline?

I don't have a network connection manager and I don't need that function
in a browser, mail client or any other app.

> And don't start with sockets. That will result in a nightmare. dbus is a
> clean

I've been using computers way before D-Bus came into action and I never
suffered from nightmares... ;-)

To me D-Bus is a bit like this:
Programmer1: (waves hands in the air) Oh, oh I know, let's invent a new
protocol that lets applications talk to each other. Way cool!
Programmer2: Oh yeah, it will simplify the situation so much. Let's do it!
Pragmatic guy: So, what are these apps going to talk about?
Programmer1 & 2 (in unison): Shut up! Don't spoil our fun by asking such
stupid questions!

But, this discussion is quite pointless as I see it since the people who
program these apps (like programmer1 & 2 above) are the ones who gets to
choose and most people just doesn't bother with the details; they just
throw more ("bigger", "better", "faster") hardware in an ever-evolving
race. Far from the unix philosophy of KISS. That's at least the way I
see it...

Best regards

Peter K