Neil Bothwick wrote:

> Note that they are inventing a new protocol, not a new idea.

Which is basically (if you read between the lines) what I've been trying
to say the whole time. Although it may be my english is no sufficient to
let that "shine" through... (English is not my native language).

> The same as they always talked about, but now they have a common protocol
> that can work with everything. D-Bus is not so much a new concept but a
> logical rationalisation of previous, disparate implementations.

Yes, but... As I see it this is mainly a convenience to the programmer
and no benefits to the users. Which, if I extrapolate, leads to todays
"nice" GUIs/DEs that can sing and dance and includes the proverbial
"kitchen sink".
 I use gentoo in order to decide for myself what I need and don't need,
in order to maximise my benefit from a linux installation; that means I
need to weigh the benefit of a certain function/app against the hardware
requirements. If I add another thing that runs in the background
(daemon) it does steal resources (however small) and it has to have some
benefit to me in order for me to think it worth it.

Need I say that I'm a minimalist? :-)

Thanks anyway for the rational, down-to-earth, answer instead of a rant.

Best regards

Peter K