On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, pk wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > 1. Say stuff it and build a print server into your app. We stopped doing
> > that when DOS fell out of fashion.
> > 2. Support all possible print systems. lpr anyone?
> > 3. Or just use IPC and let dedicated print middleware deal with it.
>
> What's wrong with lpr?

besides being not really usefull anymore? Are you sure you have lpr? Which
ones do you have? And do you have it configured for the right printers? What if
you don't have lpr but cups?

> > Multimedia buttons. One of the most confounding things on modern hardware
> > are multimedia buttons. Volume is easy - make it adjust the sound
> > server. Or you could use keybindings and have the wm do it, or you could
> > send the keypresses to the configured audio app. And which one is that?
> > Many apps do sound, which one will get the buttom focus?
>
> Don't have them, don't use them. I don't use wireless on trains
> either... and never will (unless someone puts a gun to my head).

you not. Millions of people do.

> > Even minimal WMs have many more such examples. Removing a sane IPC method
> > that can be used everywhere instead of multiple implementations of
> > similar functionality makes about as much engineering sense as claiming
> > you don't need pipes in a shell.
>
> But D-Bus is much more than (simple) IPC.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-process_communication

and because of that dbus is a great solution. Single solution for a wide range
of problems. Which is pretty much anti-bloat.