Hi,

Nominatim considers place nodes and administrative boundaries
in specific cases (same name, same level in the hierarchy, etc.)
as different representations of the same entity: one is the
center point and one the exact area. To avoid duplicates, it
merges the two and returns one object. The adminstrative
boundary is considered the 'main object' of the two. the place
node is only used to complete the information.

You can extract most of the data from the place node. The
name tags are merged, so they appear automaticaly. If you
add 'extratags=1' to your search query, then you get a list
of additional tags, including the place tag. The position of
the node can be found in the center point of the result
(lat and lon parameters).

There is one thing you cannot get: the original OSM id. It
would be easy to add, though, if there is a valid use case.

Kind regards

Sarah