My apologies, but I do not see how anything like this could possibly work.
The issue is not the transfer of heat energy to the atmosphere by direct
heating‹the warmth of the ocean is what enables evaporation to occur and it
is then the condensation of the water vapor that gives the energy for the
hurricane. So, anything that is wet at the surface can cause evaporation.
With all the wave action and spray there is likely more than enough water
being lofted for there to be enough evaporation even if one does not get
evaporation from the actual water surface that would be covered under this
proposal. The wind generating the waves is being powered also by evaporation
from over a very wide area.

And as for calculating the effect, we already have a sort of analog‹for when
a hurricane passes over land. Indeed it slows down‹which is what is
desired‹but a lot of that, I believe, is from increased surface drag and
from drier air from over land areas being pulled in. And while wind amount
may go down (and that can be important as damage goes by the cube of wind
speed, and there are thresholds to due to building codes), there can be
torrential rains far inland that do a great deal of damage.

As for a rough calculation, hurricanes are likely drawing moisture into the
atmosphere from near a thousand kilometers from the storm center‹they are
huge, and they are moving, and the wind stirs up the waters for very long
distances.

If one really wants to try to make a difference, one has to limit the heat
uptake of the waters over the whole years, which might get temperatures down
a degree or two over a relatively large area. There are ideas for doing
this‹like the Salter and Latham cloud scheme, etc. But trying to do enough
just ahead of a coming storm is a huge task.

Alvia¹s scheme is interesting because it is seeking to prevent the
originating eddy from forming‹and at this point it has yet to begin taking
advantage of condensation of moisture to drive it. In that poleward
transport of energy by tropical cyclones is a significant amount of energy,
that would also have to be replaced somehow, and so it would be interesting
to think about whether we would have hurricanes were it not for the eddy
initiation on Africa. Given that typhoons develop out in the Pacific without
a desert whirlwind to start them, might it be that the TARP would only shift
the origin of hurricanes to another location. Interesting question to study.

Best, Mike