  From: John Nissen
  To: andrew.lock...@gmail.com
  Cc: geoengineering
  Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 6:18 PM
  Subject: Re: [geo] Re: Rejected - a simple argument for SRM geoengineering

  Hi Andrew,

  You say: "I don't oppose John's argument, but the evidence on the severity of
the problem is far from conclusive."  I disagree.

  The methane presents a very real risk - because of the uncertainty on timing
combined with the potential size of methane discharge - perhaps even enough to
cause thermal runaway due to positive feedback, as is thought to have happened
in the past [1].  Risk management involves identifying events and assessing
them in terms of their likelihood and magnitude of impact [2].  Thus something
with a small likelihood (such as rapid massive methane excursion) can have a
high risk, if the magnitude of impact is sufficiently large (and you can't get
much larger than thermal runaway).

  It is possible that much or most of the methane trapped in frozen structures
has built up over hundreds of thousands of years.  There is little sign of
massive methane discharge in the ice record. In fact methane seems to track the
temperature even better than CO2 [3].

  But of course methane discharge is not the only high risk event - there is
also the Greenland ice sheet disintegration.

  BTW, does anybody know the _immediate_ warming potential of methane, as
opposed to the 20 year value (72), 100 years (25) or 500 years (7.6)?  The
lifetime is only 12 +/- 3 years.  See [4].

  Cheers,

  John

  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clathrate_gun_hypothesis

  [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_risk_management

  [3] http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090329215018AAxqYFk

  [4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas

  ---

  Andrew Lockley wrote:
    At present the likely methane excursion is far from clear.  Further, it is
also unclear how quickly the total excursion will occur.  The excursion rate is
highly significant due to the short life of methane in the atmosphere.  The
methane ends up as CO2, in itself a major issue.  However, the CO2's likely
effect is nothing compared to the devastating temperature spike which may
result from a sudden methane excursion.

    I don't oppose John's argument, but the evidence on the severity of the
problem is far from conclusive.  We need much more research into:
    1)  The methane reservoir in clathrates and permafrost
    2) The size of potential methane sources currently frozen as organic
detritus
    3) The likely changes to the GWP of methane in future atmospheres, as the
levels of hydroxyl radicals etc. shift over time and as a direct result of
methane excursion.  Recent research on this asks more questions than it answers.

    My personal feeling is that the range of likely outcomes is from a
significant amplification of AGW, right up to a 'Great Dying' sized
mass-extinction event when we come within a sneeze of sterilising the entire
planet.  I'd be tempted to bet on the latter, but I wouldn't be around to
collect the winnings, so I'll keep my wallet in my pocket.

    My suggestions is that geoengineers look at ways to clean up the methane
from the atmosphere, and then lock down the resulting carbon.  My guess is
we've got about 50 years to do this, but virtually no time at all if the
methane can't be dealt with once it's in the atmosphere. Therefore, I'd support
John out of precautionary principle-based reasoning.