From: "John Nissen" <j...@cloudworld.co.uk>
To: rongretlar...@comcast.net
Cc: williamcgbu...@gmail.com, "Olivier Boucher"
<olivier.bouc...@metoffice.gov.uk>, "geoengineering"
<geoengineering@googlegroups.com>, "Jeff Ridley"
<jeff.rid...@metoffice.gov.uk>, "P. Wadhams" <p...@cam.ac.uk>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:21:51 PM
Subject: Re: [geo] New Met Resource on Geoengineering

Hi Ron,

There are two requirements that never seem to get mentioned, in official
studies:

1. The need to bring down CO2 level in the atmosphere below 350 ppm, to avoid
further ocean acidification, and potential catastrophic breakdown of the marine
food chain;

2. The need to cool the Arctic to prevent inexorable melting of permafrost with
catastrophic methane release and inexorable (or sudden) disintegration of
Greenland ice sheet with catastrophic sea level rise.

Both these require geoengineering as part of the solution, since emissions
reductions alone cannot solve these problems on the necessary timescale. I
challenge anybody from the Met Office to dispute this.

BTW, scientists such as Hansen want (1) for reasons of global warming, and may
put ocean acidification as a secondary consideration.

Cheers,

John

---

rongretlar...@comcast.net wrote:

Wil and list:

Thanks for the lead.

I still don't understand how Biochar can be left out of discussions by groups
like the Met office and Mr..Boucher There are now 29 separate regional Biochar
groups (doubling approximately every year). Does anyone know of any other
geoengineering technology that has even one regional support group? (There are
some probably for forestry - but emphasizing CDR?) Popular support is going to
be critical to get to 350 ppm - and Biochar has it.

See http://www.biochar-international.org/network/communities

Ron