----- Mensagem original -----
De: "Andrew Lockley" <and...@andrewlockley.com>
Para: ke...@ucalgary.ca
Cc: geoengineering@googlegroups.com
Enviadas: Quarta-feira, 15 de Setembro de 2010 12:36:58
Assunto: Re: [geo] Carbon sequestration workshop Sep 9-10, Heinz Center,
Washington DC

Regardless of the debate about carbon efficiencies, there are of course further
dimensions to the issue of crop waste.

The waste contains a wide variety of chemicals, including macro and
micronutrients for plants, which have the capacity to affect yield and
nutritional value of crops in subsequent years. These elements may need to be
replaced artificially if the waste is not returned to the soil. Therefore, you
need to calculate the impact of any fertilisation of soil which needs to be
done in lieu of the application of the crop waste to soil. Not only is there
the carbon cost of manufacturing the fertilizers, but there's also some direct
climate impacts from fertilizer application. Nitrogenous fertilizers especially
have a significant climate impact.

Furthermore, the fibrous nature of the crop waste affects soil composition, and
the physical shielding of the soil from wind and rain helps to reduce erosion.
This affects silt in runoff, aeolian dust, river mouth sequestration of soil
organic fraction, marine food chains, etc.

It's very dangerous to make climate-impact pronouncements when such factors
have not been properly considered, as it can end up with a situation where
predictions are far adrift from the real-world impacts.

We all need to make sure that we don't get too dogmatic about our own
perspectives on this issue, as in all likelihood the great majority of them
will be proved wrong to some extent by later analysis and experimentation.