Andrew, In my most humble opinion, Geoengineering must take the broadest
view as possible. What you say about the ram accelerator is true and I have
even run across an ocean based concept that looked very interesting. The
technology is so simple that Iraq almost got one set up before the 1st war.
The broader issue of energy, however, is the keystone of Geoengineering.
Moving science and technology forward through the development of space based
solar energy is really the holy grail. That does require a new launch system
which would be a massive investment. The off shoots of that effort will,
without a doubt, provide the greatest benefit to the greatest number.

The stop gap approach of climate intervention, regardless of the technique,
is much like applying a tourniquet to a wounded limb. It will work...maybe
do extra damage and is temporary at best. By addressing the nature of the
means of injury and working to prevent the injury is truly the best spent
time and effort. The field of Geoengineering will always be expected to take
the longest and broadest perspective due to the significance of the concept.
Marshalling global support for any actual operational effort will require
showing highly positive benefits to the largest possable number of stake
holders.

New access to energy and physical frontiers does do that. The development
and construction of the Space Fountain would bring economies of scale to
fledgling fields such as supper conductive power transmission lines, which
is very much needed. Giving regional power storage to electrical grids is
very much needed. Providing regional telecommunications at low cost is very
much needed. Long term In situ upper atmospheric research platforms are very
much needed. By taking this advance concept option, it will inevitably,
lead to discoveries and advancements in industry and science which will be
important to everyone on this planet.

Clearly, sending the message that the "gun" is the answer is not the PR I
would hope to see this field send out. That is not what the science and
technology folks will be saying, but, that is what will be in the minds of
the average Joe on the street. We can and should do much better.

So much for the soap box rant! Thanks for your patients.