Tracer use would be the only way to assure we get what we pay for. The only
practical way to find a CO2 leak in an oil field would be to see the sand
kicking up around the leak. Well head monitoring will not be a reliable
means as CO2 can be absorbed into some rock formations. So, any leak related
drop in pressure could be readily explained away.

Fracking uses chemicals which would leave any clathrate area devoid of life
for centuries....if not longer. Calthrate drilling needs hot water which,
may itself, have significant effects on the local AOM community as most
hydrates are associated with loose sediment. The seepage of the
chemicals/hot water would be difficult to control for. Here are 2 papers I
base my views upon as they give a detailed view of what is known about the
physical reality of the hydrate fields.

http://escholarship.org/uc/item/01k4m30p

<http://escholarship.org/uc/item/01k4m30p>
http://escholarship.org/uc/item/2tz8x1ct

I have spent most of the last week studying their works and will try to pull
together some observations in the next few days. The main point that grabbed
my attention was the call for an "engineered" release to study what may be
expected by a GW induced event.

Thanks,

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*