*Hi Folks,*
*
*Steven posted something similar and I can only hope this is more media hype
than a growing trend. I think the biggest threat comes from groups that use
media hype to block genuine scientific investigations while pulling in
donations. This is truly Yellow Journalism!  *
*
*
*

Look at what ETC has to offer just today;
*
"Dear Dr. Pachauri,

The undersigned organizations would like to express our concerns about the
upcoming IPCC joint working group expert meeting on geoengineering to be
held in Lima, Peru, June 20-22, 2011.

Geoengineering, the intentional large-scale manipulation of the Earth’s
systems to modify the climate, is one of the most serious issues the
international community will face in the decades ahead. The prospects of
artificially changing the chemistry of our oceans to absorb more CO2,
modifying the Earth’s radiative balance, devising new carbon sinks in
fragile ecosystems, redirecting hurricanes and other extreme weather events
are alarming. The potential for accidents, dangerous experiments, inadequate
risk assessment, unexpected impacts, unilateralism, private profiteering,
disruption of agriculture, inter-state conflict, illegitimate political
goals and negative consequences for the global South is high. The likelihood
that geoengineering will provide a safe, lasting, democratic and peaceful
solution to the climate crisis is non-existent (.

The IPCC aims to be “policy relevant” and “policy neutral,” and must take
great care not to squander its credibility on geoengineering, a topic that
is gathering steam precisely when there is no real progress on mitigation
and adaptation. The IPCC’s announcement of the expert meeting already
suggests that geoengineering has a place in the portfolio of legitimate
of the IPCC is to define what that role is. Permit us to stress that this is
not primarily a scientific question; it is a political one. International
peasant organizations, indigenous peoples, and social movements have all
expressed outright opposition to such measures as a false solution to the
climate crisis.

The Scientific Steering Group of this expert meeting includes well-known
geoengineering advocates who have called for steep increases in funding for
research and for proceeding with experimentation, as well as scientists who
have patents pending on geoengineering technologies and/or other financial
interests. Asking a group of geoengineering scientists if more research
should be done on the topic is like asking a group of hungry bears if they
would like honey. Their predictable answer should be viewed with skepticism.
At the same time, independent organizations, which have devoted years of
critical research to geoengineering, are not allowed to participate, even as
observers.

Furthermore, we are concerned that the IPCC appears to be wading into waters
beyond its expertise and mandate. The expert meeting, for instance,
describes “appropriate governance mechanisms” as part of its mandate, and
participants will discuss the “suitability of existing governance mechanisms
for managing geoengineering, including social, legal and political factors.”
This is a crucial discussion that has already begun at the international
level among governments and civil society, most notably at the Conference of
the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity in Japan in 2010. That
meeting agreed to adopt a *de facto* moratorium on real-world
experimentation until a number of conditions are met. The critical question
of governance is one that needs to be fully debated by the international
community, with *all* interested states, civil society organizations,
indigenous peoples and farmers’ organizations taking part in a clearly
democratic, multilateral transparent and accountable way. Scientists from
the IPCC should participate in that debate, but they do not have the
expertise or legitimacy to determine the suitability of existing governance
mechanisms.

In the months ahead, as the Fifth Assessment Report is prepared, civil
society organizations concerned with climate change and geoengineering will
closely scrutinize the IPCC’s work. In particular, we will look for the IPCC
to come out clearly and strongly in favour of the strict application of the
precautionary principle and against any real-world geoengineering
experimentation.

On the expert meeting, before its report is published and its conclusions
are shared more broadly, we urge the IPCC to ensure that a variety of civil
society voices is heard, understood, and taken into account, particularly
from the global South. This will provide much-needed common sense and a
global perspective, as well as a counterpoint to the more prominent and
extreme positions of some Northern scientists engaged in geoengineering
research.
We thank you for your attention to these issues and look forward to your
reply."

*I will directly respond to this statement in the next few days. I want to
take my time to fully express my views and I will CC the response to Dr.
Pachauri. ETC is not an expert on GE just as I am not expert. They have a
financial motive to be heard on this issue, I do not! These folks are
pulling in around 100k per month on this scam of a gravy train!!!!!*
*
*
*This type of irrational ranting **by groups like ETC is what fuels the
irrational threats against those seriously working on true solutions. As
long as folks like ETC can make a living by ranting non-sense, there needs
to be those willing to stand toe to toe against them and debate/expose them
for the fear mongers that they are.   *
*
*
*Thanks again for your patience,*
*
*
*Michael      *

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Andrew Lockley
<andrew.lock...@gmail.com>wrote:

> A friend I won't name worked in geoengineering related research  and
> reported visits from hippies with baseball bats to researchers who offended
> the deep greens.
>
> Seems you can't do anything noteworthy in this field without someone
> somewhere wanting to kill you.
>
> I think I'd rather be shot by a redneck than beaten to death by a hippy.
> Anyone else got a preference? I'm not sure I'm influential enough to offend
> anyone yet, though. I've never previously thought of that as a good thing...
>
> I've written a non fiction book on security and counter intelligence for
> campaigners. If anyone wants a copy, I'll email it.

> On 13 Jun 2011 17:54, "Rau, Greg" <r...@llnl.gov> wrote:

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*
http://www.wix.com/voglerlake/vogler-lake-web-site