Hi Folks,

Ron, Bronson seemed to be simply confused on a few of her points. The CO2
being best left in the atmosphere remark was one and is something I think
most of the ETC donors need to pay close attention to. Greenpeace can offer
a much more rational "service" for the donation dollar. Also, on one hand
she claims all GE proposed methods simply will not work (3:33), yet on the
other hand, they should all be baned. I believe this is a clear example of
her confusion or willingness to be simply dishonest with her audience. Why
take the trouble to ban something which does not work?

You asked about if there was any reference to not removing atmos. CO2 on
their site. I have been reading the available material on their site and
have not found any direct reference to that strategy. I can not, however
rule out that it is there somewhere. Also, the type of rhetoric that is
common in their writings is not precise in any way, shape or form and so
much of what is written can be widely interpreted. As you know, one tried
and true con-artist technique is that "If you can't dazzle with
your brilliance, baffle them with your Bull Sh#t" Bronson was clearly not
dazzling anyone in her interview and I am completely baffled by much of what
I read on their site.

The ETC staff constantly brings up "The Precautionary Principle" as a mantra
like chant.

Here is a stark look at that principle from Max More;
*What’s Wrong with the Precautionary Principle?*

The precautionary principle has at least six major weak spots. It serves us
badly by:

   1. assuming worst-case scenarios
   2. distracting attention from established threats to health, especially
   natural risks
   3. assuming that the effects of regulation and restriction are all
   positive or neutral, never negative
   4. ignoring potential benefits of technology and inherently favoring
   nature over humanity
   5. illegitimately shifting the burden of proof and unfavorably
   positioning the proponent of the activity
   6. conflicting with more balanced, common-law approaches to risk and
   harm.

Ironically, the precautionary principle does actually support GE.

Wiki; "One of the primary foundations of the precautionary principle, and
globally accepted definitions, results from the work of the Rio
Conference<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Conference>,
or "Earth Summit <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Summit>" in 1992.
Principle #15 of the Rio
Declaration<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Declaration>
 notes:
"In order to protect the environment, the precautionary approach shall be
widely applied by States according to their capabilities. *Where there are
threats of serious or irreversible damage, lack of full scientific certainty
shall not be used as a reason for postponing cost-effective measures to
prevent environmental
degradation*."[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precautionary_principle#cite_note-1>
 My
underscoring.

It is clear that Global Warming does pose a "threat of serious
or irreversible damage" and the "lack of full scientific certainty shall not
be used as a reason for postponing cost-effective measures to
prevent environmental degradation" (that seems like a call for GE to me!). I
would like to see ETC place this definition prominently on their front page.
What would their donors think?

You asked about their position on getting more CO2 into plants (Redd+). My
reading indicates to me that they believe it is now a "green washing"
situation. Again, I could be mistaken as understanding their
many....many...many positions on the many...many issues they rant against is
a major cat herding exercise and I may have missed a cat or two.

Ron, I hope this helps bring some clarity to the engineered opaqueness of
ETC's means and methods.

Thanks again for your patience,

Michael

--