Ken (cc list )

I have tried (as a rank amateur observer, not participant) to follow this
retreatjng September arctic ice topic for the last 5 years. I have come to a
different conclusion than expressed in your two articles.. The website I have
found most valuable can be located by remembering the name "Neven" - and
googling with "arctic" and "ice" . This blog averages more than one message per
hour - and the folks commenting there seem to be putting a lot of time into the
topic. Not experts on this blog, but dedicated amateurs, who do seem to be
talking to the ice experts, however.

The key question is what are we to be measuring when we talk of "gone"? I
gather that 10% remainder is considered "gone". One also has to consider
whether one will be talking area, extent, or volume. I like the volume
definition - as thickness is dropping much more rapidly than area (the smaller
number) or extent - and the volume is easier to find data on than thickness. A
good (April 2011) discussion of these differences is at

http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/2011/04/trends-in-arctic-sea-ice-volume.html#more

This short write-up, using experimental volume data, suggests about 2016 as a
best guess to get to this 10% value. This uses a "Gompertz" model - which has
no particular theoretical validity - but seems to have more validity than a
linear or quadratic approach to absolute zero . It might be overly
conservative.

For today's blog exchange (several dozen so far today), go to just the early
part of the above URL.

The modeler who seems (to me) to have done the best job in modeling this (the
subject of Ken's two articles) is Dr. Wieslaw Maslowski who has supported this
2016 "gone" date since 2008 or so (and again this year). The following 2008
cite is given in the above URL for a Maslowski Ppt:

http://www.ees.hokudai.ac.jp/coe21/dc2008/DC/report/Maslowski.pdf

His work doesn't show up in literature comparisons such as in Ken's articles
because his (highly detailed) model is limited only to the Arctic; it is not a
global model, although of course it is linked to the rest of the world. We
should also note that Maslowski has supported 2013 as not being out of the
question. (and still does)

I don't believe we have the luxury of relying on a "gone" date in the 2030's or
even 2020's - and this is based on interpretations of recent data - not model
outputs. It seems to me the lesson is that the global models need retuning.

Ron