This CF question is actually quite complex. You can have a CF of 0.7 for a nuke but actually that's because it's working 70% of the time and for 30% it is broken or undergoing maintenance (often for longish periods of days / weeks / months). A CCGT with a CF of 0.7 would most likely be modulating its output to meet actual demand and the 30% of non-generation would mainly represent times of low demand, with routine maintenance timed to take place during low demand periods.

This means that the CCGT is making a far more valuable contribution to electricity supply than the nuke: there are times while the nuke is down when additional fossil supply will be needed to make good the shortfall (adding to the nuke's effective emissions); and there are periods when the nuke is generating when the CCGT would be on standby or shut down for the night (reducing the nuke's effective emissions reductions). So a KWh from a nuke does not directly compare to a KWh from a CCGT either in terms of value, or in terms of CO2 emissions. This needs to be taken into account.

Yes, can you contact the authors for their view? Oliver.

--
Oliver Tickell
e: oli...@its.me.uk