Stephen (or John, or Phil, or anyone else) have any of your modellings
of cloud brightening looked at this effect? If you were to brighten
clouds under a dark aerosol (eg Asian Brown Cloud or equivalent off
west africa) might you not be trading warming at the surface for
warming at the dark aerosol layer above the cloud, and thus a) getting
less of an effect in terms of overall cooling and b) contributing to
an increased stability in the amtopsheric column that would suppress
convection (thus perhaps having an effect on the clouds themselves?)
Doesn't seem obvious how this would net out -- if warming the
atmosphere above made the clouds more stable i suppose this might
increase the cooling for a given seeding. Is it something you've
looked at?