December 28, 2011, *1:13 PM*More Views on Climate Risk and Arctic
Methane<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/more-views-on-global-warmin-and-arctic-methane/>
By ANDREW C. REVKIN<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/author/andrew-c-revkin/>

In trying to clarify what’s known, unknown and learnable about the
possiblecontribution
to global warming from vast methane
deposits<http://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/methane-hydrates-and-contemporary-climate-change-24314790>
beneath
Arctic seas, I reached out to a host of scientists working on this
question. I also received a lot of reader input, as you can see from the
comment threads in the string of
posts<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/?s=arctic+methane+climate+siberia>
on
this important issue. Here’s a roundup of some additional views from the
scientific community and one filmmaker focused on question:

Raymond T. Pierrehumbert <http://geosci.uchicago.edu/~rtp1/>, a climate
scientist at the University of Chicago and contributor to
Realclimate.org<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/raymond-t-pierrehumbert/index.php?s=pierrehumbert&submit=Search&qt=&q=pierrehumbert+site%3Awww.realclimate.org&cx=009744842749537478185%3Ahwbuiarvsbo&client=google-coop-np&cof=GALT%3A808080%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A34374A%3BVLC%3AAA8610%3BAH%3Aleft%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BALC%3A66AA55%3BLC%3A66AA55%3BT%3A000000%3BGFNT%3A66A%5C%0D%0AA55%3BGIMP%3A66AA55%3BFORID%3A11%3B&searchdatabase=site>
 (and sometimes Dot
Earth<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/scientists-view-in-climate-action-no-shortcuts-around-co2/>),
sent this thought:

Regarding the methane time-bomb issue, I do understand the need to respond
to unwarranted predictions of catastrophe. I’ve made responses of this type
myself. For example I think that Jim Hansen is demonstrably wrong in his
assertion that a Venus-type runaway greenhouse is a virtual certainty if we
burn all the coal; he is right about almost everything and I greatly admire
him, but he is wrong about this.

Countering an assertion like that has the unfortunate consequence that some
people say, “Whew, ducked a bullet there,” and go on to think that the rest
of the consequences of global warming don’t look so bad in comparison with
turning into Venus, not remembering that a lot of those consequences can
still be very bad indeed.

But the clathrate release problem is in a rather different category from
the runaway greenhouse issue. It has to be seen as just one of the many
fast or slow carbon catastrophes possibly awaiting us, in a system we are
just groping to understand. The models of destabilization are largely based
on variants of diffusive heat transport, but the state of understanding of
slope avalanches and other more exotic release mechanisms is rather poor —
and even if it turns out that rapid methane degassing isn’t in the cards,
you still do have to worry about those several trillion metric tons of
near-surface carbon and how secure they are. It’s like worrying about the
state of security of Soviet nuclear warheads, but where you have no idea
what kind of terrorists there might be out there and what their
capabilities are — and on what time scales they operate.

Edward Brook <http://www.geo.orst.edu/people/faculty/Ed_Brook>, a climate
scientist and geochemist at Oregon State University, sent a comment as part
of a group e-mail exchange that included this relevant thought:

One problem with this discussion is that there is no definition of “time
bomb” so people get confused. It seems quite likely that continued global
warming will increase the emissions of methane from permafrost deposits and
marine hydrates. Some of that will get in to the atmosphere, though … some
will also be consumed in the water column and in soils. This “chronic”
source may increase over time, and affect climate, but for the reasons you
discussed it is likely to be slow, and not a catastrophic risk. Of course
it is still important. For a somewhat dated view of this topic, see
[link<http://downloads.climatescience.gov/sap/sap3-4/sap3-4-final-report-ch5.pdf>
].

Gary Houser, an environmental
writer<http://www.climatesos.org/2010/04/mainstream-greens-cave-in/>
and
producer of a documentary that’s being made about Arctic
methane<http://www.590films.org/methane.html>,
sent a rebuttal of my initial post in this string, “Methane Time Bomb in
Arctic Seas – Apocalypse Not.” Here’s an introductory riff and link to his
full piece:

As co-producer of an upcoming in-depth documentary on the methane
issue<http://www.590films.org/methane.html>,
I am stunned at how Revkin has dismissed the concerns of those trying to
alert the world to the danger of a methane runaway feedback. It is one of
the scenarios most feared by climate scientists. Once triggered, an abrupt
downward spiral could ensue which humanity might be helpless to stop. When
the factors which could unleash a runaway are beginning to line up, it is a
time for humanity to take a pause from its many distractions and look.

Revkin’s search for unequivocal “evidence” that such “runaway disruption”
is already underway ignores the key danger we face. *If humanity waits
until this level of “proof” is obtained, it will very likely be far too
late to stop the colossal forces that will already be in motion.*

In my full counterpoint, I present seven major reasons why the situation is
one of great urgency. They are listed below. I urge the reader to please
consider my more complete statement.

1) A force that has already demonstrated its awesome power during earlier
periods on Earth-
2) Grasping the meaning of “irreversible” runaway train-
3) Insistence on “evidence” trumped by need to act preventatively-
4) The factors present which could launch a “runaway”-
5) The creation of a collision course toward methane release-
6) A classic moment to invoke the precautionary principle-
7) An immediate need to escalate a scientific inquiry of methane-

Read the full piece here. <http://crocodoc.com/R9oMb2C>

Richard B. Alley <http://live.psu.edu/tag/Richard_Alley>, the climate
scientist and ice sheet prober at Pennsylvania State University (and host
of the PBS series “Earth: The Operators’
Manual<http://earththeoperatorsmanual.com/host_richard_alley>“),
wrote this: Read
more…<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/more-views-on-global-warmin-and-arctic-methane/#more-41111>

--