Also, I haven't read the literature, but has anyone actually measured the
bubbles to show that it's methane and not H2S, NxOy, CO2, etc.  Granted the
former are probably not going to be important on land/freshwater.  The images
of the undersea plumes are impressive. Would be really interesting to do some
chem profiling in the water column (even just pH) to show effects of active CH4
oxidation to CO2, carbonate undersaturation, etc. Should be some major ocean
acidification going on locally, with bio impacts.
-Greg