for anyone. However, the interested citizen's view also needs to be
understood. Within democratic states, it will be the "public opinion" which
will most likely swing this issue

Ben's question of; *"Is the economic/
scientific community reaching a tipping point where geo-engineering is
becoming seen as plausible, desirable, and even inevitable?"* hinges upon
the question of:

Is the Precautionary Principle the overriding guiding principle? Principle
#15 of the Rio Declaration states: *"In order to protect the environment,
the precautionary approach shall be widely applied by States according to
their capabilities. Where there are threats of serious or irreversible
damage, lack of full scientific certainty shall not be used as a reason for
postponing cost-effective measures to prevent environmental degradation."*

Will the standard of "(the)...*lack of full scientific certainty shall not
be used as a reason for postponing cost-effective measures" *become the
rallying flag for the GE community or will a far more cautious standard
be sought.

More to the point, Ben's question is looking at GE being "...seen as
plausible, desirable, and even inevitable". At this time, I believe the
answer is NO to all three.

1) *Plausible*...With the debatable exception of Cloud Brightening, there
are no fully vetted methods which can, in a short period of time, reverse a
climate/planetary emergency. There is no wide spread support for
non-emergency deployment. Also, most, if not all, existing concepts have
been largely championed by individual efforts with relatively minor
financial backing.

I believe it is safe to state that, if given a $10-20-100B fully funded
budget and and 24 months to vet and deploy a planet saving GE method, *which
could turn back a "tipping point*", it would not be "plausible" at this
time.

2) *Desirable*...Any method which does gain widespread scientific
acceptance will surely have a degree of adverse effects for some percentage
of the global population. This obviously will effect geopolitical dynamics
and thus the short and long term desirability.

I believe it is safe to state that, even with the most *benign* GE
method, no universal level of "desirability" will be found.

3) *Inevitable*...At this time, we have little more than broad stroke
concepts which have little possibility to be put into fully effective
operation within the near (2-3yr) future. And, two to three years may
possibly be too late.

I believe it is safe to state that, given the need for years worth of
development and evaluation, we *may not be able* to "inevitably" fall back
upon GE in the face of a near term emergency.

Most importantly, Ben* *points out that *"(GE*)...is gaining ever more
public exposure in the media.". Yes, and the overwhelming exposure is
negative. Few policy makers will support the needed science/engineering
efforts while this negative slant is applied by the media.

To conclude, the overall issue of GE is approaching a critical point at a
number of different levels. Simply put,

1) Gaining even basic support for GE research is difficult under the
pressure of negative media.

2) No one knows, with a high degree of certainty, if a tipping point is
10-100 years off; *or even if one is currently underway*.

3) There is no ability to stop an active tipping point and no one can rule
out that we are *not* in the beginning stages of one.

4) The only "inevitable" aspect about GE is that it will be contentious, to
a high degree, regardless of the weight of scientific consensus.

Ben, I look forward to reading your article...as usual.

Michael

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*
http://www.voglerlake.com