John and ccs:

There are many estimates of available biomass, although not many for CDR
(through Biochar, BECCS, etc). A recent one (still not for CDR) that seems to
have been well done is in a new WF report at this site (especially its Section
5 and several appendices):

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/footprint/climate_carbon_energy/energy_solutions/renewable_energy/sustainable_energy_report/

I believe WWF can be assumed to be cautious on over-use of the global biomass
resource. In this study for 2050, their total use of biomass is about 40% of
the total energy demand - which is mostly renewable - and at a total of about
250 EJ/yr (possible because of assumed aggressive energy efficiency estimates).
Their Fig. 5.1 says they are using about half of the technically available
biomass - and they barely utilized any of the tremendous land area now being
used for livestock.

Because they calculate everything in energy (Exajoule) terms, we need to use a
factor about 30 GJ/tonne C to obtain that a projected total carbon in biomass
use (in 2050) of about 100 EJ converts to about 3.3 Gt C/yr (about half of
today's fossil use/deposition of carbon). To get this same amount as Biochar
(not considered at all by WWF), we would need to employ approximately twice as
much input biomass - about the amount shown as technically available in their
Fig. 5.1.

I think this is a feasible goal.

To check on its reasonableness, I need to get more deeply into the assumptions,
but the yield values in Table C-2 seem OK (on the order of 4-6 tonnes C/ha-yr.)

But your question relates to all CDR. New extra standing biomass is possible
beyond the above. Today photosynthesis on land has an NPP (Net Primary
Productivity) of about 60 Gt C/yr. If this were increased to 70 (or 80), even
before any additional harvesting, there could be a huge annual CDR increase of
10 (to 20) annual Gt C. Eventually this new added standing biomass can/should
also be converted to Biochar (divide these annual C-values by 2 to get
Biochar).

Of course with Biochar there are additional annual out-year sequestration
benefits (both carbon neutral and carbon negative). I believe there are
eventual combined benefits from Biochar that are from 50% to 100% of today's
fossil annual C-inputs. Not to be sneezed at - and larger than any other
approach I know of.

Hope this WWF reference is helpful in answering your question below on Biochar
being "scaled enough". Other thoughts on this?

Ron