Andrew and list (cc Andy Rivkin)

This is to urge replacement of your " controlled burns, bulldozers, etc. " in
your final sentence,
"Or would management of fire on the ground with controlled burns, bulldozers,
etc . be better? "
with " biopower, biofuels, biochar , etc : Controlled burns and bulldozers are
far from optimum approaches.

The subject of precautionary removal (thinning and perodic, appropriate-width
fire breaks) is often mentioned in biochar literature. The intent is to show
this as a way to up the often-too-low projections. The main additional
rationales for precautionary action I have seen are not smoke minimization, but
rather lowering property damage and insurance costs. If we are at all
interested in AGW, we need to both be replacing fossil fuels and practicing CDR
- and must think about state and national forest land that is rarely managed
for either carbon neutral or carbon negative purposes. This is not in current
national planning in the US.

In Colorado, there is a great deal of beetle killed pne, which is sure to cause
some future renewed interest in precautionary action. Just a few months ago,
more than 350 homes and $110 million were lost on the outskirts of Ft. Collins,
Colorado. Thinking about these near-urban regions (such as Vail and Aspen) in
fire minimization terms is a must - limited now by not having figuring out how
to pay for it. Carbon credits could make some of the difference. But even
better is the development of new technologies that can bring cost effective
conversions to the resource, rather than the more expensive converse. I am
particularly thinking of the brand-new technology for a drop-in gasoline (with
equal biochar production) seen at www.coolplanetbiofuels.com .

Smoke also will be reduced and that will be much appreciated - but there are
many other reasons to think harder about forest and fire management..

Ron