Chris:

Your message below has caused me to delay responding to other messages in this
thread. I found the 68 page report to be new (to me), very well written, and
one I will now follow up on closely. I found (p 61 (or 63/68) ) that Professor
Jones also has a 2011 text book that I have ordered via inter-library loan.
That seems to cover a wider range of geoengineering (or only CDR??) topics. Can
anyone report on that book (Title: Engineering Strategies for Greenhouse Gas
Mitigation )?

The cite you have given (below) was for a group new to me called ECOR - of
which Prof. Jones is a key part . I wish we had more such groups.

Professor Jones goes through three types of carbon storage in the oceans,
concluding that he likes best the biologic approaches (favored on this list
predominantly [and today] by Bhaskar). As I am asking about the ocean resource
being appropriate for biochar, this part was welcome news.

But Prof. Jones and his co-authors have concluded that ocean resources make no
sense for use on land. At the top of p31, they say:
"The ocean offers a more promising site than the land for using biological
processes on a scale commensurate with the predicted global problem."
I need further discussion on this - and will see what Prof. Jones' new textbook
says on biochar, BECCS, CROPS, etc.

I have to (and will) re-read the report as I can't now find a sentence that I
think might have similarly discarded the idea of moving biomass from the oceans
to land. If then used for biochar, I see two advantages that I suspect may not
have been considered: a) the use of the biomass for energy purposes (through
pyrolysis - not combustion), and b) the use of the resulting charcoal for
long-lived continuing soil benefits. These two additional uses of ocean biomass
I don't see in this report - and both have income (not expense) streams
associated with them. Both income streams (and someday also a stream of carbon
credits) would seem to have some possibility of covering the (correctly
concerns about) costs of transport. The ship portion of transport of many
things is featured in this report and seem pretty low per tonne-km .

2. Again, I apologize for responding first to this message rather than several
others mostly on CROPS. But I found this Chris-referred report very fascinating
- with a large amount about ocean biomass growth that I did not expect. Besides
Bhaskar's concern today about not covering one type of ocean photosynthesis, I
saw nothing on macroalgae - kelp. More needs to be discussed about this nice
report.

Ron