Andrew and list (adding two new ccs):

1. I found the full article (for free) at:

It is quite complete - 46 pages, 265 footnotes (a good many fewer references -
but a lot)

2. Here are the final five paragraphs:

IV. TOWARD GEOENGINEERING GOVERNANCE

<skip many pages>

E. The Scientists

Decisions concerning geoengineering must be based on sound science.
Proponents of geoengineering propose to make massive, possibly planetarywide,
changes to the earth’s climate system. Before any such proposals are
allowed to move forward, they must be subject to a careful, independent, and
neutral scientific assessment of their feasibility, likely effectiveness, and
risks. If geoengineering is a necessary part of the solution to our climate
problem (and we fear it may be), then international decisions about
approving geoengineering must be structured to ensure that approved
projects are those that are most likely to succeed, that the projects do not
conflict with one another, and that special pleading or political influence
does
not trump science in the approval process.258

International environmental treaties seek to secure scientific input into
the international policy-making process in a variety of ways.259 We think the
concerns noted above require a very strong mechanism for science advice in
any geoengineering agreement. A scientific advisory committee should be
created and given power to review and make recommendations concerning
any geoengineering proposal that is presented to the international governing
body.260 Ideally, no action could be taken without the concurrence of this
body, but such a requirement might overly politicize the group and would
certainly complicate negotiations concerning its composition. Therefore, it
may be preferable to make its decision recommendatory only. With respect to
composition, the minimum requirements should be that the individuals
serving on the panel are persons of recognized scientific standing with
expertise in climate change, geoengineering, weather modification, or the
human/social impacts of climate instability. To ensure the independence of
members, they must be expressly authorized to serve in their individual
capacities and not as government representatives.261 A scientist’s home state
should be expressly precluded from giving the scientist instructions or
seeking to influence the scientist’s decision. 262 Finally, reports and
recommendations of the body should be publicly available, which will allow
for scrutiny and analysis by other independent scientists.263

V. CONCLUSION
We have no illusions that the governance roadmap we have provided in
this paper is comprehensive; we know that many details must be worked out
in negotiations. Nevertheless, we believe that the principles and basic
governance structure sketched out above could provide the foundation for a
workable agreement to bring geoengineering under coherent and effective
international control. We hope in a future paper to offer more detailed
suggestions about the content of a treaty on this subject.

In her 1957 novel, Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand described a composer
named Richard Halley who, like many of Rand’s protagonists, was a man of
transcendent and unappreciated genius. Halley wrote an opera based on the
myth of Phaëthon. As anyone familiar with Rand’s work will probably guess,
Halley’s operatic version of the myth departs from the Greek story in one
significant way: Phaëthon controls the chariot and completes his flight;
humankind triumphs even against the forces of gods and nature.264

We think it is almost inevitable that humankind will seek to fly
Phaëthon’s chariot. We must hope that Rand’s optimistic and utopian modern
mythology is more prophetic than the fatalistic vision of the Greeks and
Romans. We must also work as best we can to ensure the enterprise’s
success.

256 Martinez-Diaz, supra note 246; Woods & Lombardi, supra note 232.
257 See Buira, supra note 248.
258 Financial muscle and political influence is already lining up behind
certain geoengineering
solutions, and leading scientists are acquiring financial stakes in particular
techniques that may
influence their future advocacy of particular geoengineering proposals. See
generally Vidal, supra
note 132.
259 See, e.g., Convention on Long Range Transboundary Air Pollution [LRTAP],
art. 7, Nov. 13,
1979, 1302 U.N.T.S. 217 (encouraging research and research cooperation with
respect to air
pollution); Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer art.
7, Sept. 16, 1987,
1522 U.N.T.S. 3 (establishment of expert panels to conduct scientific
assessment of measures to
control ozone-depleting substances); UNFCCC art. 5, supra note 178 (research
support and
cooperation); id., art. 9 (establishment of intergovernmental body for
scientific assessment);
Rotterdam Convention on Prior Informed Consent Procedure for Certain Hazardous
Chemicals
and Pesticides in International Trade art. 5–7 & 18, Sept. 11, 1998, 2244
U.N.T.S. 337
(establishing a Chemical Review Committee, consisting of experts in chemical
management, to
advise parties on listing of chemicals in treaty annexes).

260 See Long & Winickoff, supra note 214.
261 A model for this approach at the international level can be found in the
World Trade
Organization (“WTO”)’s provisions for dispute settlement. See WTO, DISPUTE
SETTLEMENT, art.
8, para. 9 (1994), available at www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispv_e/dsv_e.htm.
“Panelists shall
serve in their individual capacities and not as government representatives, nor
as
representatives of any organization. Members shall therefore not give them
instructions nor seek
to influence them as individuals with regard to matters before a panel.” Id.
262 Again, the WTO Dispute Settlement Understanding provides a model. See id.
263 David Victor argues that international assessment of geoengineering
solutions should “enlist
multiple strong assessment institutions rather than a single, global, and weak
institution. A few
competent groups could prepare assessments in parallel—ideally groups that are
connected to
active scientific research in the area—and then compare the assessments.”
Victor, supra note 29,
at 330. We are in basic agreement with Victor’s belief that “multiple strong
assessment
institutions” are desirable, and our proposal for a treaty-based advisory group
is not intended to,
nor would it, preclude rigorous assessment by scientific experts at the
national level. To the
contrary, we would expect research and assessment activities to be ongoing, and
we would expect
international comparison of the results of those assessments, pursuant to the
information sharing
and related norms discussed earlier in this paper.

3. There is almost no discussion of specific geoengineering approaches. But,
unusually, there is plenty on CDR, as well as the usual majority emphasis on
SRM.
However the word "biochar" never once appears. There are 2-3 sentences that one
can interpret as possibly including biochar . But I could make a pretty strong
argument that the concept of biochar was intentionally left out - which would
of course please thousands of biochar researchers .

4. In order to check on the authors' intent re biochar, I have included the two
authors in this extension of Andrew's message. I hope they will comment on the
ethics of, and needed regulation of, the only CDR approach that additionally
supplies energy and improves soils (and food), with numerous out-year benefits,
(and the research is NOT being driven much by biochar's CDR characteristics) .
Also, I ask whether failing to use the word "biochar" might have been
intentional (biochar being well known in the state of Iowa).

5. In sum, I think this paper worthy of more discussion on this list.

Ron

Geo-Engineering For Global Warming Needs International Laws With Teeth

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/geoengineering_global_warming_needs_international_laws_teeth-100073

Geo-Engineering For Global Warming Needs International Laws With Teeth

<rest snipped as not being needed>