Hi Greg,

Your point is well taken, but I come at EOR from a different perspective,
as the only significant source of demand for CO2 from direct air capture
for the foreseeable future, and thus as the key current driver for DAC
technology development.  A while back I wrote about this on my blog
(http://geoengineeringpolitics.blogspot.com/2012/04/dac-and-eor.html)--here's
a snippet summarizing my view:

The reality of DAC today is stated succinctly by Gunther: "air-capture
technology has become *a solution in search of a market*, while its backers
wait for the world to get serious about climate
threat<http://www.marcgunther.com/2012/03/11/direct-air-capture-of-co2-is-becoming-a-business-for-better-or-worse/#more-10795>"

(boldface original).  And the reality of the CO2 market today is that it is
dominated by demand for use in EOR--there are currently more than 100 EOR
projects in operation paying $20-40 per ton of CO2, and the key constraint
on future growth is lack of CO2 injectant supply.  Like any other firm, for
DAC start-ups to be successful they will need to be financially viable, and
the surest road to financial viability in the foreseeable future is
supplying CO2 to the EOR market.  Other markets are either too small (for
example, greenhouses) or too embryonic (algae-based biofuels), and support
from the carbon allowance market is essentially nonexistent.  Right now,
EOR is the only meaningful game in town, and represents the only realistic
option for DAC technology developers and their financial backers.  To swear
off involvement in EOR would deprive DAC of its most powerful motive force,
and may well permanently consign DAC technology to the drawing-board.

The quote is from Marc Gunther's e-book Suck It Up.

Josh