to geoengineering:
   The article in Science surprised a lot of people with data that
"charcoal" enters the world's oceans in massive quantities.  My caution is
about language.  A spin-off article made it to the Scientific American with
the title, "Soils Cannot Lock Away Black Carbon".  The author painted with
a broad brush, and it could easily be inferred that *any* form of carbon or
charcoal in the soil will be dissolved and go away.  Rather than debate the
point, I want to point out that the definition of biochar is of a product
made and applied intentionally, not a catch-all category for any residue of
wildfire or other carbon source.
In considering the best and highest form of technology to offset CO2 (and,
by the way, NO2) we would be very irresponsible to marginalize the
potential contribution from biochar, and nothing in the Jaffé study
suggests otherwise.
   Biochar news and web sites at:
http://pinterest.com/nnumeric/what-is-biochar/