Mr Hamilton:

I don't think it's personal abuse to point out that you oppose research in
what may (probably will) be desperately needed in a decade or two. As
several here point out, there's a clear present danger in the Arctic. This
will worsen and you will have no solution at all.

Perhaps you think the summer fires in Australia, where you live, are a
passing matter. You turn apprehension about climate into fear of those who
would deliberately alter climate, not against the enormous demand and the
energy industry that lies at the root cause--our need of energy at low
cost.

I asked Sherry Rowland, the Nobel winner at my university, what the ppm
count of CO2 (about 400 now) would be when we got it to slowly turn around.
"Around 1000," he said.

The climate engineering many of us feel will be needed needs many small
scale experiments. You oppose this. When the crisis comes, many will knock
at your door. I expect you'll have it locked.

Gregory Benford