Well done, David. Your article has interesting perspectives on the main
possibilities for model-measurement disagreement.
Just eyeballing the video where (Rahmdorf's?)
volcanic/solar/ENSO-attributed temperature swings
are removed, it seems that ENSO is associated with the plurality of the
interannual signal in the last 15 years.
We know that models struggle to (re-)produce realistic ENSOs. It would be
interesting to examine
what happens when models, e.g., miss a La Nina: to what extent do they
overestimate global surface T vs.
put more heat into the ocean as observed? It's hard to criticize a model
for missing ENSO as long as
it captures the ocean heat storage trend.

cz