This is an excellent, concise summary of the lock-in effect I've been
droning on about for years, and I think it is still vastly
un(der)appreciated by people concerned/engaged with climate change.  There
is some high-profile acknowledgement of this situation, e.g. IEA's top
economist, Fatih Birol, has talked about it repeatedly, but the message
doesn't seem to be reaching many of the right people, including many green
activists I speak with.

There was a fairly recent report from WRI talking about the plans worldwide
to build about 1,200 new coal plants.  If one does a back-of-the-envelope
calculation, assuming an average size, coal and water consumption, and CO2
emissions, it results in some quite dim numbers and conclusions.  I'm quite
aware that many people question whether we'll ever build anywhere near that
many new plants worldwide, due to cooling water restrictions and, in some
cases, regional coal availability.  But cut the projected number of new
plants significantly, and the cumulative emissions over the normal lifespan
of a coal plant (40 to 60 years) are still very bad news.

Getting us out of existing infrastructure and technology, with its
associated emissions commitment, in anything approaching a good time frame
is a gigantic political and economic challenge.