Just to clarify  reason for asking about patents:

I agree with most of what Gene says below. Patent law has become an
embarrassment and serves mainly as a mechanism for trolls to exact unearned
taxes from those who are doing useful things.

However, the body of patent law on a topic is a necessary legal reference
point for those who are actually building useful enterprises.

Also, as a post a few weeks ago mentioned, IP law about GE may assume
heightened significance in the absence of a coherent governance regime.

I appreciate Jim Lee's efforts to create a reasonabl(ish) list as a
starting point and thank him forsharing it with the list.

Andrew Lockley asked a few weeks ago "where do we need to spend money" --
maybe one answer is that a competent and neutral(ish) body needs to
commission a survey or registry of IP related to GE.