http://www.mikehulme.org/2013/09/can-science-fix-climate-change/

Professor Mike Hulme's Site« Forthcoming book

Can science fix climate change?

(23 September 2013)  ‘Can science fix climate change?‘  I have just
submitted my full manuscript of this new book title to Polity Press.  The
book argues against the research and deployment of large-scale sunlight
reflection methods, especially stratospheric aerosol injection, as a
response to climate change.  The book will appear in the New Year as part
of their New Human Frontiers series.  Here is a brief summary:“In this book
I outline the reasons why I believe this particular climate fix—creating a
thermostat for the planet–is undesirable, ungovernable and unreliable.  It
is undesirablebecause regulating global temperature is not the same thing
as controlling local weather and climate.  It is ungovernable because there
is no plausible and legitimate process for deciding who sets the world’s
temperature.  And it is unreliable because of the law of unintended
consequences: deliberate intervention with the atmosphere on a global-scale
will lead to unpredictable, dangerous and contentious outcomes.  I make my
position clear: I do not wish to live in this brave new climate-controlled
world.  In Aldous Huxley’s 1932 novel ‘Brave New World’, his ironic Utopia
was brought about by totalitarian engineering of the human subject–‘Yes,
everybody’s happy now’.  For those promoting the virtues of designer
climates the equivalent pathological Utopia would be brought about by
totalitarian engineering of the planet.”