On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Ronal W. Larson
<rongretlar...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Keith etal
>
> Thanks for the added material.  It seems we understand the differences well,
> so I will keep this short.
>
> 1.  Re my #2:   You found 1 ppm CO2 as 5.20 Gt CO2.  Multiplying by 12/44
> would give 1.42 Gt C, whereas I had 2.13 Gt C ( a number I have seen many
> times - such as at
>     http://cdiac.ornl.gov/pns/convert.html
>    http://www.skepticalscience.com/print.php?n=908 )

Ah, fundamental misunderstanding on my part.  ppm is by volume and not
mass.  So your number is right.

> 2.   Re #4:   I think we can live with electricity prices appreciably higher
> than 2 c/kWh.    Coal has an environmental cost sometimes reported at 15
> c/kWh.  Nuclear seems unlikely to ever get anywhere near (is on a negative
> learning curve).  I like your two cites, but think we can only get 2c with
> energy efficiency (but good luck on proving you can do it with SPS)

It's not so much whether or not we can live with high energy costs,
it's a question of if we can live well in a vibrant economy. Of
course, if energy goes high enough we can no longer ship food and then
comes the great die off when a crop fails.

>    Biochar has a chance at good economics when used with CHP - where
> smallness is a virtue.
>
> Other (re your final added material):   I have followed the SPS concept
> since the early 1970s, after hearing Dr.  Peter Glaser of AD Little.  I am
> in no position to comment on it now, but certainly hope that you can achieve
> the 2 c/kWh target.  That would be wonderful.  In a little googling today I
> was reminded that the Japanese have made a major commitment -which must be
> very satisfying to you.

Post Fukushima the Japanese canceled their power satellite plans.

snip

>      -     There is at least one firm using electricity to make char - with
> a microwave system.  Possibly some (magnetron) parallels with SPS there?
> In general, the fact that pyrolysis is exothermic could keep most biochar
> coming from strictly thermal approaches.

If it will burn, you can make char out of it.  But depending on how
wet it is, it can be hard.

Where with really cheap external energy it doesn't much matter.

Keith