John,

Can you repost a link to that primer -- the one in your post 404s.  Or if
you can post the doc, that would be greatly appreciated, as well.

I would also like to know how strong the evidence is that 3C is the
threshold for a runaway effect (assuming that's what is meant in your
fourth summary bullet).  Given how much greater impacts have been relative
to the amount of warming so far, including at least hints of methane being
awakened, trying to pinpoint where things go off the rails seems to be
exceedingly difficult.

Again, I refer to the early 1970s UN effort, the one I call the proto-IPCC,
that said +/- 2C was the difference between a new ice age or a catastrophic
ice-free age.  (See the book Only One Earth, p. 192.)  Given that the
amount of warming we've locked in already (realized warming, current
thermal disequilibrium, warming from continued wind down of emissions,
additional warming from the loss of cooling aerosols) is perilously close
to 2C, it's hard to see how the answer to "can the world be saved without
geoengineering" could possibly be "yes".