This is a marvelous concept that is new to me.

Envision a large number of such pipes installed in polar ice sheets. One
might focus on two goals.

The first would be to lower the temperature of the bottom of the ice sheet
in order to promote its growth from the bottom. This has the merit of
avoiding the issue of salt in ice: when ice forms at the bottom of an ice
sheet the ice itself is low in salt and a brine sinks away from the ice.
Would one have to keep sinking the pipe into the ice sheet as the ice
thickens.

But alternatively, one might simply have a long pipe with the goal of just
getting more heat above the ice, to be ultimately radiated away, with a
goal of countering deep ocean temperature rise.

Interesting technical concept.

Peter

Peter Flynn, P. Eng., Ph. D.

Emeritus Professor and Poole Chair in Management for Engineers

Department of Mechanical Engineering

University of Alberta

peter.fl...@ualberta.ca

cell: 928 451 4455