Keith:

Again thanks

Re- being able to make thicker ice in the Arctic - from the bottom, not the
top.  Glad to see you were a decade or more ahead of me.  Have you seen the
idea in print?   I guess the many in use along the pipeline says it doesn’t
need further experimental proof.  But some of their operating data would be
nice.

The Antarctic case seems a bit harder - with a need for stiffer, stronger pipe.
Any reason the floating Arctic unit couldn’t be made of a thinner plastic and
get closer to a $1 or so per foot (with a total of (?) less than 10 feet?)

I hope you can find your earlier cost calculations.  I think we have a chicken
and egg situation.  The person finding the money (John Nissen?) will have to
have some cost calculations.

I like the term “thermal diode”.  It gets across the idea well.  More like the
term “biochar” than the term CDR, however.  Speaking of biochar, offhand it
seems to offer more  value (because of surface area) than the “synthetic wax”
you cite below.  Would seem to be cheaper even if the wax was also carbon
negative somehow.  It would be great if anyone could make a synthetic char,
starting with CO2.  I once read that no-one knows how to make a synthetic
volcanic lava (maybe no longer true, anyone?   It would make a great material
for simple char-making carbon-negative stoves.)

Your proposed diode will operate with the “hot” side always around 0 oC, and
the cold side dependent on the nighttime air temperature that (not looking
anything up) might average -30 or -40 oC.  This is about the same as  OTEC
systems I think, which also use evaporation techniques, but with a needed
thousands of feet of large-diameter pipe.  I believe the OTEC literature has
talked of such low temperature opportunities, but not using the term “diode”.

Re 20 per sqmi.   For PR purposes, I suggest using the same max number as
allowed for fracking wells  (16?)

Again, thanks, for the new added data.  I hope someone can shoot the idea down
soon, if obviously not practical.

Best of luck also with your satellite power system work.

Ron

On Jan 14, 2014, at 8:56 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Ronal W. Larson
> <rongretlar...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Keith etal  (adding in John Nissen and Peter Flynn )
>>
>> 1.  Most interesting.   I own a solar thermal system with the same heat pipe
>> theory at work - and would have never carried it over to your Pine Island
>> example.  This to answer your first question on my part.  Thanks.
>>
>> 2.   Adding John and Peter because of their interest in the northern
>> equivalent.  I think there we are talking of possibly being able also to add
>> ice just below the existing surface layer, so as to maybe add months to the
>> ice area/extent lifetime.  Maybe especially to be located where there is
>> known methane below.
>>
>> 3.  One beauty is that this is a closed system.  Any cites on the liquids
>> used for the Alaska pipeline?
>
> Ammonia.
>
> Somewhere, years ago, I read a report on detecting the ones that had
> failed because the top of the pipes had filled up with hydrogen and
> how they were repaired.  I think propane would be as good or better.
>
>> Should be able to design something that
>> floats; totally passive. Has potential multi-year usage even if nothing
>> possible during part of the summer.  Maybe a gang could be tied together
>> underwater.
>
> Some years ago I ran off an estimate of how much ice would form over a
> winter and how much would melt back in the summer.  They were really
> rough calculations.  Searching on the net, it looks like I never
> mentioned this idea.  The earliest mention in my email files is 2006,
> searching my hard drive turned up this from Sept. 2012.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Why not ask the Engineers?
>
> Not too many years ago, when people had problems like floods or things
> they wanted to do like going to the moon, they asked engineers how to
> do it and how much it would cost.  Then after some political debate,
> they had big companies with thousands of engineers and related
> technical workers do the job.  The Transcontinental railroad, Panama
> Canal, Hover Dam, Manhattan Project, Apollo, you get the drift.
>
> However, in recent years, people have not been asking the engineers.
> There has been a tendency to assume we already know how to fix a
> problem.  The solutions assumed are usually the "hair shirt" kind with
> a religious flavor to them and lots of sacrifice—for other people of
> course.
>
> Just being an old engineer, I can't say how society could be induced
> into asking engineers how to solve the problems again.  However, on
> the off chance that someone might ask, I have put some thinking into
> the problems that show up in the daily news.
>
> Take sea ice melting in the Arctic.
>
> One solution, which might work, is vast numbers of floating thermal
> diodes.  These are not new.  They were developed for the Alaskan
> pipeline as pipe supports where the pipe ran across areas of
> [...]

  • [geo] Case... Geoengineering Our Climate (eds. Blackstock, Miller and Rayner)
    • Re: [... Ronal W. Larson
      • R... Greg Rau
        • ... Greg Rau
          • ... Ronal W. Larson