Dear Colleague:

This is the official solicitation for open peer commentaries for the Summer
issue of Ethics, Policy, and Environment
(http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/cepe).

For this next issue, 17.2, we have selected two related Target Articles,
both on solar radiation management. The first is by David Morrow (U of
Alabama, Birmingham), titled "Starting a flood to stop a fire? Some moral
constraints on solar radiation management." Here is the abstract:

Abstract: Solar radiation management (SRM), a form of climate engineering,
would reduce the amount of sunlight absorbed by the Earth to offset the
effects of increased greenhouse gas concentrations. To encourage support for
SRM research, advocates argue that SRM may someday be needed to reduce the
risks from climate change. This paper examines the implications of two moral
constraints-the Doctrine of Doing and Allowing and the Doctrine of Double
Effect-on this argument for SRM. The Doctrine of Doing and Allowing, and
perhaps the Doctrine of Double Effect, shows that the argument is weaker
than it appears.

The second is by Toby Svoboda (Fairfield U) and Peter Irvine (Potsdam),
titled "Ethical and Technical Challenges in Compensating for Harm Due to
Solar Radiation Management Geoengineering." Here is that abstract:

Abstract: As a response to climate change, geoengineering with solar
radiation management (SRM) has the potential to result in unjust harm.
Potentially, this injustice could be ameliorated by providing compensation
to victims of SRM. However, establishing a just SRM compensation system
faces severe challenges. First, there is scientific uncertainty in detecting
particular harmful impacts and causally attributing them to SRM. Second,
there is ethical uncertainty regarding what principles should be used to
determine responsibility and eligibility for compensation, as well as
determining how much compensation ought to be paid. Significant challenges
loom for crafting a just SRM compensation system.

We are now soliciting approximately 5-10 open commentaries in response to
either of the two articles.  Potential commentators will be invited to write
short 750-1500 word responses which will be published simultaneously with
the target articles.

If you would like to be considered as a peer commentator for this article or
for some future article, please contact our managing editor, Clinton Herget:
ethicspolicyenvironm...@gmail.com to have your name added to our list.
Please explain in the e-mail that you would like to be considered as a peer
commentator, and specify if this particular article is one that may interest
you, in which case, Clinton will send an advance version of the article back
to you.

For this article, we would like to have you submit a short summary of your
proposed Open Peer Commentary (no more than 150 words) by 5:00 pm, MST,
Wednesday, Mar 26.  If your peer commentary is selected, you will then have
until Wednesday, Apr 16 to submit your full commentary.

Moreover, please also consider submitting a suitable article to EPE as a
potential target or feature article. If you are not familiar with the unique
format of our journal, feel free to read more about us here:
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/cepe.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Hale

Co-Editor with Andrew Light (who is on temporary leave from the journal)

   Benjamin Hale

   Associate Professor

    <http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy> Philosophy Department and

    <http://envs.colorado.edu/> Environmental Studies Program

   Director of Graduate Studies

   Environmental Studies Program

   1333 Grandview, UCB 0488

   University of Colorado, Boulder

   Boulder, Colorado 80309

   Tel: 303 735-3624; Fax: 303 735-1576

   Personal homepage:  <http://www.practicalreason.com/>
http://www.practicalreason.com

   ComET:  <http://environmentalthought.com/>
http://environmentalthought.com/

   Personal blog:  <http://cruelmistress.wordpress.com/>
http://cruelmistress.wordpress.com

   Co-Editor:  <http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/cepe> Ethics, Policy &
Environment

   Vice-President/President-elect, International Society for Environmental
Ethics:  <http://enviroethics.org/> http://enviroethics.org/

    <http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/center> Center for Values and Social
Policy (Philosophy)

    <http://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/> Center for Science and Technology