Hi Ken and Greg,

Reflecting on your point, Greg, it is extraordinary the widespread
antagonism to geoengineering, when it is so obviously needed to reduce CO2
in the atmosphere and to prevent Arctic meltdown.  We all ought to be
campaigning for a grasping of the nettle of reality.  We cannot rely on
Nature to protect us if we do nothing to promote the natural processes
which Nature provides for doing the things we need to do.   We cannot
continue to pretend that somehow all will be well, and we will still be
nibbling our chicken nuggets in front of the TV in thirty years time.  It
is our turn to be protecting Nature, when the natural processes which have
kept our planet in balance for the development of civilisation over the
past 8000 years have suddenly been overwhelmed by mankind's intervention
with a massive pulse of CO2 and methane, triggering a vicious cycle of
warming and melting (albedo positive feedback) in the Arctic.

It is now clear that we've run out of carbon budget if we want to avoid
dangerous climate warming just from CO2, let alone from other factors like
methane and albedo loss.  This is clear from an excellent article in
Climate Code Red [1].  This means that we have to do things which broadly
come under the heading of CO2 removal (CDR geoengineering).  We have to
pull out all the stops, since we should be aiming to have a carbon neutral
world economy within ten years and to be reducing the CO2 level back to 350
ppm in the following ten years.  This means that we have to consider a
combination of forest management, biochar, ocean iron fertilisation, etc.
to promote photosynthesis and carbon drawdown on a massive scale, to
counter the massive amounts of CO2 that we will be inevitably continuing to
put in the atmosphere.

It is equally clear that the Arctic is heading for complete meltdown unless
the vicious cycle of warming and melting is broken.  The methods of
breaking this cycle again employ processes which are found in nature.  We
must oppose those who say geoengineering should only be used as a last
resort, as if there were no crisis at this present moment to justify the
use of geoengineering.

The only way to protect the Arctic and its wonderful wild life habitat is
to cool the Arctic.  Tell that to Greenpeace and the rest!

Cheers, John

[1]
http://www.climatecodered.org/2014/05/the-real-budgetary-emergency-burnable.html

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 5:10 AM, Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu