Hi, Ken –

Thanks much for your response. Of course I see how you meant this, and I
don’t really disagree as long as it’s clearly stated that, given the
successful achievement of the same radiative forcing impacts with the two
approaches, then there’s not much difference between the SRM and turning
down the sun. What I was saying – and, as I said, it was more question than
comment – grows out of a general sense that we should all still be looking
for any possible ways that one might not successfully achieve the forcing
impacts currently assumed, for some reason or another.

So, while you write that the surface temperature is not “super sensitive to
changes in the stratosphere,” I was referencing one of the possible ways in
which the surface apparently can be quite sensitive to such changes: for
me, at least, when I first heard of the Solomon et al paper a few years
back, what first popped out at me was how, with so little H2O up in the
stratosphere, changes in it could have such huge impacts on surface
temperature, comparable with changes in CO2 forcing, I think, over the same
period. Then later I began wondering whether stratospheric SRM techniques
could impact this stratospheric hydrology, as opposed to the much more
frequently discussed surface hydrology SRM impacts.

So, that’s why I brought up the methane issue, since there clearly is an
interaction at the surface between sulfur chemistry and methane oxidation,
and methane is very clearly an important source of H2O to the stratosphere.
Luckily, the methane doesn’t seem to be getting oxidized in the right place
to have such a big impact, but could *that* somehow or another get shifted
if you add a bunch of sulfur to the stratosphere? Again, it was really a
question, where I was asking: have such possibilities been explored?

Cheers,

Nathan