This very large jump, from doing no harm to actively controlling the
climate, is exactly where I think we're headed, whether we like it or not,
and it's why I've been trying for years to make the case that saying we're
in the Anthropocene understates the situation.

There's a world of difference between merely saying that humanity is having
an effect on the global climate and recognizing that the cumulative effect
has become so great and is such a threat that we have no choice but to try
to actively control the climate to avoid some horrific outcomes.  I've
tried to push the meme that we need a new name for this state, which I've
called the Metricene, a time of "living measured lives on a managed
planet".

Like so much else regarding climate change, I think we will come around to
this line of thinking in time, but it will happen late enough that it will
be more difficult and expensive, and there will be more human suffering
than there "should be" to prod us to take action.