Hi, Michael and GeoE  -

Thanks. Michael, you write about wanting to “promote offshore cultivation
above all other forms of CDR and CO2 utilization/sequestration.” I’ve seen
the Rodale stuff before, and wondered about their rosy numbers. Note that
in the quote here Rodale are describing using 2x the current amount of
cultivated land. That’s quite an Ag footprint! It isn’t exactly “back to
Nature.”

It isn’t said often enough that agriculture is about the biggest and worst
of the current, unplanned "instinctive" geoengineerings we've gotten
ourselves into, and possibly where we should really take the bull by the
horns…..and get rid of him. Rather than the “carbon farming” of sustainable
beef, or the “carbon farming” of no till ag, Rodale, etc, what about the
idea that going higher-tech on ag, on a planet with more than 7 billion,
could possibly be one of the best ways toward greater carbon management and
returning the global ecosystem to a more natural state?

So, how about another idea, Michael, which is neither like your IMBECS – it
could be complementary to it – nor what Rattan Lal is describing? Some
years ago I got interested in hydroponics in general, and was fascinated
back in 2007 when I saw a publication from an international hydroponics
conference from the early 1970s where the opening essay said something
like, “if global warming should ever become a major problem for
agriculture, this could be an important solution.” They meant just to keep
us all eating when the soils are dried out, but I’ve often wondered since
whether it could become far more, and is better done sooner, proactively,
rather than later, defensively.

The only real CO2 purchasing market existing right now is for hothouse
tomatoes. How far could it go? I know Lackner with his artificial trees has
discussed tomatoes and such as a possible venue for growing his DAC
technique, with pretty low estimates of potential, but if global-scale ag
was really done this way, how high could the numbers reach?

Has anyone ever seen or done that calculation? In other words, how much of
that 112 Gt/yr CO2 mentioned in the article Andrew posted goes into what’s
eaten up by human beings? I'd love to see that number if anyone has seen or
done the calculations.......

Anyhow, I have long wondered about the opposite from what Lal is proposing
– rather than growing the human ag footprint 2x but trying to sink much
more C/acre soil, what about shrinking that footprint vastly and letting
natural re-growth help species deal with the warming, sinking a great deal
of carbon initially into growing the new forests, and having a BECS-like
negative carbon ag profile from then on by boosting the internal CO2
growing environment to optimal for each crop, grown in large centers
outside of metro areas? Of course this shares some things with Despommier’s
“vertical farming” and such, but it’s also quite distinct in various
respects – not with artificial light, nor so high as he plans, etc.
Instead, just as high as the highest current greenhouses, maximizing light
use through vertical filtering by crop, etc.  The idea would be to have
protein sources, too: I discovered back when I was first interested in all
this that NASA had done a little research on possible hydroponic soy, but
never did any actual breeding program (the Hoyt can grow this way, but is
inferior...so, breeding work needed to get a higher quality cultivar); the
Japanese after 9/11 researched and achieved hydroponically growable rice,
for an “emergency” (they meant terrorism). All hydroponics grow with vastly
less water, don’t need pesticides, and with much higher yield densities
than soil ag. If rice were done widely this way, lots of methane would also
be trappable and could be used as an energy source.

One could even then promote the “high-CO2-consuming” diet for humanity. So,
a veggie diet, of course, but also centering it on those things that love
to suck up lots of CO2 – so… maybe forget Ken and his chomping on Chicken
McNuggets out in mid- century….maybe more like, a hydroponically grown
mushroom pizza & salad?

cheers, Nathan