From: markcap...@podenergy.org [markcap...@podenergy.org]
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2014 8:35 AM
To: Rau, Greg; gh...@sbcglobal.net; Schuiling, R.D. (Olaf);
voglerl...@gmail.com; geoengineering@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [geo] Re: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly of CO2 Utilization |
Everything and the Carbon Sink

Greg and Olaf,

What might be the minimum inputs such that we could grow and sequester
seashells while rapidly recycling most of the nutrients to grow more shellfish?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/can-seashells-save-the-world-813915.html
 discusses "Not so, it seems, with the coccolithophore, or at least with the
most abundant species, called Emiliania huxleyi. The latest study into this
species shows that it appears to thrive on high levels of carbon dioxide.
Instead of finding it difficult to make its calcium carbonate plates, as some
scientists had expected, the organism can, in fact, make bigger and bigger
plates as carbon dioxide concentrations are increased artificially, according
to a study published in the current issue of the journal Science."

Perhaps a more complex model of Ocean Forest would work with the carbon dioxide
from the energy separation process (likely either anaerobic digestion or
hydrothermal liquifaction) being sequestered as sea shells.  In this case, we
may have to sell the shellfish meat as food (people, pets, livestock,
aquaculture fish) and import more basic nutrients or silicate minerals or
calcium from a few 100-1,000 kilometers distant.

Mark

Mark E. Capron, PE
Ventura, California
www.PODenergy.org<http://www.PODenergy.org>