I was pleased to read Clive Hamilton’s analysis of thepolitics of
geoengineering, since I am one of those right wing technologyadvocates he
usefully but wrongly describes. I would really welcome intensive Republican and
military and big oilinterest in carbon dioxide removal, as that is the only
thing with prospect ofdelivering results on climate security and energy
security.
Multinational companies have to invest in CDRto protect their stock prices,
their reputations and their sources of supply. CDRcan deliver a win-win for the
climate and the economy. Clive’s scientificdreams falsely assume that the
science on warming means the science is also inon workable responses (ie
emission reduction).

Emission reduction will not happen, and would not stabilisethe climate even if
it did, since it would only slow the upward CO2 trajectory.We need commercial
negative emission technology on a scale bigger than totalemissions.  Economic
growth powered bycoal is a freight train that no one will stop. Emission
reduction is as likelyas suggesting the French could have stopped Hitler by
reforming their taxsystem.  UN emission targets, even if anyare agreed, are
nothing but a mirage that will recede as their datesapproach.

The entire emission reduction strategy is based on falseassumptions about
science, economics and politics.  The power of the fossil energy industry will
easilybrush aside carbon taxes and global regulations.  So rather than demonise
Newt Gingrich asHamilton suggests, a better strategy is to reach out to the
right wing, to getmoney, political will and ingenuity to identify and deliver
mutual goals onglobal scale.  The political reality is that anyone perceived as
hostile to the oil and coal and gas industry cannot gain the trust of the
people who make globally crucial decisions.
As Bjorn Lomborg argues,the priority should be R&D to make CDR commercially
profitable.  My view is that we can burn coal and oil and gas and thenmine the
produced carbon using industrial algae farms at sea, deliveringprofitable
commodities to fund scale up.

Clive naïvely asserts that we can’t understand enough abouthow the Earth system
operates in order to take control of it.  This is a religious argument that
ignores globalrealities.  Nine billion people means achoice between climate
regulation and a runaway greenhouse.  Humans have planetary dominion whether
welike it or not.  A Gaia Apollo project candeliver negative emission
technology in the next decade to remove more carbonfrom the air than we add.
The best target for the Paris climate conference isto harness private
enterprise to remove twenty billion tonnes of carbon fromthe air each year
within a decade.

Robert Tulip